Artistic Excellence from Local Artists
Being seen helps. Being known is even better. Being paid is fundamental. Timeline Paper Co. is where artwork of places people love is given a platform. Artists from specific regions and their artwork of recognizable places are presented in a celebration of nostalgic luxury - fine quality art calendars.
Selection process currently open
Timeline Paper Co. offers nostalgic luxury by infusing artwork with their quality paper products that people can proudly display in their homes. For information about the selection process and how to apply, please read below. Or download the PDF here.
Artwork Submission for the 2022 Art Calendars
Applications and artwork are submitted together through the online form.
- Applicants should upload their submissions by May 19th, 2021.
- Curators are Rick Rogers (Edmonton and Kamloops) and Suzanne Heron (Victoria).
- If you submit your work and check the “Consent to Publish” box with your Instagram account, your artwork may be posted on our social media.
- Please note that we cannot post all applications on our social media and there is no connection between social media and the final artwork selection for the art calendars.
Timeline has a line of art calendars, named Places, which has been a fabulous way to have artwork be distributed to a larger audience with the goal of people being interested in purchasing a larger print, or even an original. These art calendars have been produced for the last 7 years for Victoria, the Kootenays, and the Okanagan in BC. This year we are expanding to include Edmonton and Kamloops.
- Each artist provides high quality photos of two paintings and short write-ups
- A royalty is paid to artists who are invited to include their work in the calendar
- Option to have Print On Demand sales of main calendar painting
- Marketing of the artist’s work both online and offline
- No plastic is used to wrap the calendars. Artists are associated with supporting plastic free packaging.
What Artists Provide
Twelve artists will be selected to have their work featured in the calendar, one per month. One of these artists’ works will also be selected for the cover of the calendar. Each month will include one full page feature image and one smaller image from the same artist. By providing more than photos of their artwork, our customers get Backstage Access to the artist.
- Two landscape paintings submitted digitally. One photographic image of each painting. Note that the calendar will have an aspect ratio of 3:4 (9” x 12”). Both works should either fit that aspect ratio or be suitable for cropping to that aspect ratio. Please submit the works in their original composition, rather than cropped. Requirements:
- All colour painting media are welcome. Sorry, no monochrome or photographic images for this calendar, but mixed media welcome.
- The submitted images must not include a frame or glass and must be free from the glare effects from camera flash or reflected light.
- Minimum resolution for the images is 3250 pixels in height and 4300 pixels in width to ensure strong print quality (350 dpi for a 9.25"x12.25" image).
- To help with the quality photography, check out Timeline’s 5 Tips to Photographing Your Artwork article.
- A cover image. After being invited to contribute, you may be asked to submit an additional painting and be the cover artist too.
- Curating will be based on several criteria: compelling artwork, work that fits the season of each month, and recognizable subject matter.
- Submissions will be accepted via the application form below. This webpage has a secure form for submitting multiple works of art.
Print On Demand
Contributing artists will have the option to take part in our Print On Demand program. The featured painting submitted can be printed on alternative mediums. These mediums are gallery width (1.5” thick) canvas, t-shirts, and hoodies.
Artists have the option to choose all three mediums or just canvas. People wear what they love or what inspires them. It’s this wear-what-you-love attitude that can make art a wearable medium. And people notice when their colleagues and family wear art.
Timeline takes care of the selling, printing, and delivery of any print on demand products.
Note that for artists to take part in this canvas print on demand option, they must be invited to contribute to the art calendar first. More details are provided after the invite has been accepted.
At Timeline, we partner with artists. This means offering royalty payments for the accepted paintings.
- Using the Victoria calendar as an example, when it sells 2,600 copies with a royalty amount of 0.77%, each artist would make $275 for the year. Payouts come in the later part of the year. For example, calendar payouts come in Jan and Feb of 2022 for those who contributed to the 2022 calendar.
Print On Demand Royalty:
- The artist and Timeline work together to determine the following:
- Consistent prices for stretched canvas prints
- Sizes that will be made available
- Stretchers are gallery depth (1.5”)
- Sizes range from 16x20 to 36x48 as a stretched canvas in a variety of aspect ratios.
- A commission of 40% is given to the artist based on profits. For example, profits are calculated after printing, fabrication, and packaging costs. Customers pay for the shipping portion.
- On Demand payouts are scheduled for 45 days after the sale is made. This gives the customer time to make any refunds or additional purchases.
- An email notification is sent to the artist within minutes of the sale as a method to track sales activity.
- Royalty payouts are made electronically through e-transfer and PayPal.
Marketing Your Work
Timeline’s goal is to have art be more accessible for people. People enjoy art for the thoughts and feelings that are evoked and the experience provokes a lasting connection to both the art and the artists.
Timeline is promoting artwork and the stories behind the scenes that many would only get from Backstage Access. With this and continued sharing online, it is our belief that people will see the emotional benefits of having art surround them and want to have larger prints and originals on their walls.
How Timeline is marketing your work:
- Calendar customers receive monthly reminder emails about that month’s featured painting and the artist.
- These emails also ask the customer to: a) buy a reproduction of the featured painting as print-on-demand, b) explore the artist’s website, and c) read the Backstage Access stories.
- Artwork images are posted on Timeline’s Instagram account and the artist’s name and Instagram account is included.
Art Calendar Quality
It’s important for the Timeline brand and for artists to represent the paintings professionally, creatively, and with quality. The calendar is printed on a vellum, opaque 80 lb paper to give a tactile feeling and thickness that says quality. It’s not a thin, smooth, glossy paper that most calendars are printed on. The editing process also alters the colours slightly to have the painting stand out on the paper and look good to the eye in calendar form.
For canvas prints, others use low quality, chemically unstable canvas materials and coatings. Our Canvas Prints are manufactured using premium 380 gsm archival grade, 60/40 poly/cotton blend canvas, matte coating and features a fine canvas weave to enhance optical clarity.
Quality also comes with the artists selected for the calendar. Some of the outstanding artists featured in prior Timeline calendars include:
- Deborah Tilby
- Linda Heslop
- Elissa Anthony
- Jennifer Lawson
- Christina Morrison
- Miki Morita
- Sandra Johnman
- Lorna Ball
- Dana Statham